Mr AF and I are a little shed obsessed :
The one to the left (with the extension!) is his, the one to the right, one day he turned into my potting shed. Seriously, the way to my heart is with a shed, apparently.
Anyway, he decided to hang his old car bonnet in my shed to use as a notice board, so at the weekend I took on this little project!
This is an unflattering picture of the inside of my shedlet. Also, in case you’re wondering, your monitor is straight, the previous genius owner of the shed built it on gravel instead of flagstones. Le sigh. It will be rectified eventually.
Anyway, blackboard paint can be a little expensive, but on a trip to Wilko I spotted some, and at £3.60 for a small tin I thought we could give it a try.
This is the smaller size tin which purports to cover 3 sq. m.
We brushed the bonnet down, it is covered in a light layer of surface rust but we didn’t take it back to bare metal, it’s a very rough and ready thing. The next step was to mask off the areas to paint, I went for a large central square with a rectangle either side for lists.
I worked on the edges first and then filled in the middle, the paint went on really smoothly and had good coverage. It shows as being touch dry within 30 minutes and ready for a second coat in two hours; I think this is fairly accurate as by the time I had finishing filling in the middle the edges were very close to being dry.
I took the tape off while the paint was still wet and found a fairly crisp line under the very cheap masking tape so I was quite pleased with that. I toddled off for a sit down for a couple of hours; before long I was masking up again for the second coat!
Also – I used hardly any to get a good two coats on – not a very good picture but this is how much I have left :
I got all excited buying the chalk today and the finished article is below!
The other nice thing about this paint by the way was how ridiculously easy it was to clean up! Thoroughly recommended!